Berwickshire Sightings April 2011

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Berwickshire Sightings April 2011

Postby IAC » Sat 02 Apr 2011 18:07

Hi all,
The weather has been very wild and wooly of late...but nothing stops the drive of spring., Plenty of action today as the sun found Berwickshire again. 6 Peacock and 6 Comma seen. The woods were very noisy with Nuthatch, Chiff Chaff and Great Tit trying to out sing each other. I think we managed 13oC here today so not bad.
Still no whites....yet. I hear from down south that Orange Tips are beginning to make a move.
A video of todays unruly Peacock behaviour can be seen here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfGPVQUE7TI

Iain.
Attachments
Peacock at the Whiteadder_1.jpg
Peacock showing off today by the Whiteadder.
IAC

Re: Berwickshire Sightings April 2011

Postby scottshanks01 » Mon 04 Apr 2011 12:16

Fantastic video Iain! That's a very confused Peacock and the poor Comma must have wondered what was going on! :D.
Perhaps all the peacocks out in the area were males? The SW Scotland Butterfly Atlas describes a similar cross-species couring event between a male Small Tortoiseshell and a female Pearl-Bordered Fritillary. The explaination seemed to be an abundance of PBF's out very early, and lone, confused male Small Tort.
Keep up the good work! :)
scottshanks01

Postby RJDMcBeath » Wed 06 Apr 2011 17:03

Hello,
To have a break and get out of this gale blowing at Lamberton, I went for a walk this afternoon along the path beside the Ale Water, near where the Ale and Eye meet. Calm, bright and sunny, 17c. Saw 3 Comma and 3 Peacock in a 50m stretch of open woodland. There was a lot of interaction between the Comma and Peacock, I am not sure which one started the action. The Comma did not bother the other Comma and the Peacock did not bother the other Peacock, but the Comma and Peacock often flew around together and had a right old tussle.
R McB
RJDMcBeath

Postby IAC » Wed 06 Apr 2011 18:54

Hi all,
It is all Peacock, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell so far. A dozen of Small T shell and Peacock and a half dozen Comma by the Whiteadder in shelter of the gales Ron mentions.
Today I was working but still managed 3 Small T shells. I am convinced that Green Veined will show this weekend....maybe :) Orange Tip.......would be nice...but probably wishful thinking.

Iain.
Attachments
Comma_1.jpg
Comma at Ninewells
IAC

Postby IAC » Thu 07 Apr 2011 16:53

Hi all,
About 15oC today and still that nagging breeze that feels more of a coastal easterly than a westerly. Despite the chill in the air 21 Peacock, 19 Small Tortoiseshell, 4 Comma, 1 Red Admiral and surprise surprise, 1 male Orange Tip belting past at breakneck pace.....if that wind drops over the next few days their could be some very good counts. All butterflies today seen along my normal Whiteadder beat from Chirnside to Chirnside Bridge.

Iain.
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 08 Apr 2011 15:29

Hi all,

Yet another trek around the Whiteadder today with temperatures at 20-21oC...PHEW..!!! Too hot for the butterflies at times as they were at times hard to find. 29 Small Tortoiseshell today with only 12 Peacock. Comma on 4, same as yesterday. 3 Orange Tip males, and 1 Small White. I did expect to see some GVW....nothing doing....maybe someone has had more luck somewhere else today.

Iain.
Attachments
Orange Tip male_1.jpg
Orange Tip on Comfrey leaf by the Whiteadder today.
IAC

Perthshire Sightings April 2011

Postby ianford0705 » Sat 09 Apr 2011 08:55

Spring has moved north this week and I saw a Comma and a Small White at Kingoodie Quarry (NO340294) on Tuesday 5th April and several small torts. By Thursday 7th there was also the first male Orange-tip and many Peacocks. Also a Small White at Lunan Bay, Angus. Ian Ford
ianford0705

Postby IAC » Sun 10 Apr 2011 18:42

Hi all,
Maybe the last day of such incredible weather for a while...so...I had to attempt a lengthy trek down the river Whiteadder from Blue Stane Ford too Edington then on too Foulden Burn and Hutton Bridge and through the wooded banks to Lambsmill and Edrington. Very few butterflies were seen early on with the odd Small Tortoiseshell and distant white. Beyond Blue Stane Ford at Pear Bank and Bite About Wood there was a small group of Orange Tip males...newly emerged possibly as they were very approachable. Those same OrangeTip chased out several Peacocks and a single Green Veined from cover. Nothing much was seen from here to Edington by the way of butterflies as it is very wooded and enclosed...some fun was had trying to locate Blackcap and Chiff Chaff in the dense woodland...very difficult. From Edington to Foulden similar small groups of emerged Orange Tip were seen threes and fours. At Hutton Bridge there were many butterflies flying with Green Veined, Small White and Orange Tip very frequent. Small Tortoiseshell were in high numbers here a dozen upwards along with good Peacock numbers. A single Comma was tracked down after much stalking around...unfortunatly a Peacock decided to give chase to the Comma I deduced was a female....she was very carefully checking out nettles by the stream....I was hoping to see her lay some eggs..drat.
Crossing the road and through the Pine Woods at Newton Braes where the scent of Pine mixed with the riverside Garlic on such a hot day was very overpowering...a few more Orange Tip on emerging from the wood, more Green Veined and even more Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell....At Edrington I had dreams of seeing an early Speckled Wood..I searched a while and found nothing...it is very early yet...all in all today was the kind of day you dream about on those long cold winter nights. :)

Iain.
Attachments
gvw_1.jpg
Green Veined White at Hutton Bridge
IAC

Postby RJDMcBeath » Sun 10 Apr 2011 19:05

Hello Everybody,
Warm and sunny at Lamberton today, reached 21c, wish it was as good in July. One Small White today, the first here this year, about 6 Small Tortoiseshell but no Peacock, they seem to have gone. Had a walk along the River Eye at Houndwood, 3 Peacock were the only Butterflies, 1 Kingfisher made a brilliant flash of colour as it flew up the river.
R.McB
RJDMcBeath

Postby IAC » Tue 12 Apr 2011 15:27

Hi all,
A single Orange Tip female spotted today at Hyndhaugh Brae, Whiteadder. Plenty of males with up too 6 seen...weather is a wee bit iffy...so not all butteflies active today. Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Small White, Comma, Green Veined White the others.

I was on an unofficial field trip yesterday to Gordon Hareford and Lightfield in the highly esteemed company of Barry Prater, Ron McBeath and Tom Prescott. The area has become, and probably has been very important for butterflies, especially the Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary. The foodplant of SPBF on wet sites is the Marsh Violet...I had until yesterday never been able to recognize this plant in the field...amazingly it was very prominent and widespread in the wetter areas of the fields.
A field trip is planned here for Saturday June 25th. If you live locally, and you have not seen this butterfly before...I can tell you it will be well worth the effort to attend.

Iain.
Attachments
ot 1204_1.jpg
Orange Tip female at Whiteadder today
IAC

Next

Return to Butterfly News