Berwickshire Sightings April 2011

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: Berwickshire Sightings April 2011

Postby IAC » Sun 24 Apr 2011 18:49

Hi all,
Yes...Red Admiral have suddenly made an appearance. Just 2 spotted today, however both females as I witnessed them testing the nettle beds at Auchencrow Mains. A few Large White, plenty of Green Veined and Orange Tip. 1 Small White, Peacock and bag loads of Small Tortoiseshell laying eggs along the railway embankments and field edges from Chirnside Bridge to Reston Newmains. Still no sign of Small Copper inland yet. Thought I saw a Silver Y Billiemains..chased and lost...and a suspected Painted Lady...again....only 60% sure....so...unconfirmed.

Iain.
Attachments
red admiral2_1.jpg
Red Admiral female at Auchencrow Mains
red admiral2_1.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
red admiral_1.jpg
Red Admiral egg on nettle at Auchencrow Mains
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 24 Apr 2011 18:57

I thought I would post this batch of Small Tortoiseshell eggs I found today. The very first time I have witnessed the Small Tortoiseshell laying...and the first time ever I have seen a batch of eggs....the Red Admiral egg was a lot less obvious than these chaps to be.

Iain
Attachments
SMALL T2_1.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell female laying.
SMALL T_1.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell ova at Auchencrow Mains
IAC

Postby IAC » Wed 27 Apr 2011 18:35

Hi all,
Not too bad a day at all by the Ale and Eye water looking for Speckled Wood. In all, 4 Speckled Wood on the Ale Banks and 3 on the Eye banks. It took a long time to find them as the steep wooded dean is quite a jungle. Ramsons, Dogs Mercury and Butterbur blanket the ground and underneath that blanket lie hidden snags such as fallen branches and stray brambles each of these snags seem to be interconnected and when stepped on seem to alert all the wildlife for a hundred miles that you are there :D ....Lots of Orange Tip and Green Veined White a few Large White a couple of Peacock and likewise Small Tortoiseshell.
The Speckled Wood on the Eye banks were in the exact same spot that I saw them last spring....dejavu moment...

Iain.
Attachments
speckled wood_1.jpg
An Eye Water Speckled Wood standing guard today.
IAC

Postby IAC » Thu 28 Apr 2011 18:50

Hi all,
Today I walked from Eyemouth down to Burnmouth on the coastal path. Another beautiful day despite the cooling sea breeze. I was on the hunt for Small Copper and got lucky seeing 3 in all, one the ab.caeruleopunctata. Smashing fun this butterfly..so very happy to see them. Green Veined White and Orange Tip the only whites seen. Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock and a beautifully fresh migrant Red Admiral. I was taken by complete surprise at Burnmouth by a male Wall Brown...did not expect to see one just yet. I hung around for a while trying to get a photo but he was very busy trying to find some pals..as he was being cold shouldered by a pair of angry Peacocks.
Things seem to be far ahead of last year, Birds Foot Trefoil and Rockrose in flower in sheltered locales...yet the Hawthorn has still to flower..very strange.

Iain.
Attachments
red admiral burnmouth hill_1.jpg
Red Admiral on the Rape flowers at Burnmouth Hill
small copper burnmouth-eyemoth_1.jpg
Small Copper on the coastal path today
IAC

Previous

Return to Butterfly News