Berwickshire Sightings May 2011

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: Berwickshire Sightings May 2011

Postby IAC » Thu 19 May 2011 21:16

Hi all,
Not quite so many butterflies today at Greenlaw Dean. A very blustery and cold wind rattled down from the surrounding moors rendering almost everything flightless. In between the gusts I managed 14 Green Veined White, 1 Orange Tip, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Wall Brown, 2 Small Copper and 1 Peacock. The Dean is very good for Northern Brown Argus...not today. It seems the NBA are going to sit tight until the weather clears..very wise. Also failed to find any Small Heath...they can hide away in windy conditions...but it does seem to me that Small Heath are not up to speed at all in the more exposed sites. When out looking for butterflies you find that a coat and a wooly hat are neccesary...it is time to head home.

Iain.
IAC

Postby RJDMcBeath » Sun 22 May 2011 19:29

Hello Folks,
I had a walk down the north bank of the Whiteadder, below Hutton Bridge. In one open clearing in the forest there were 2 Wall Brown and 1 Small Copper enjoying the sun and a little shelter. All along the river bank were Orange-tip and Green-veined White, fighting a battle against the wind. No sign of Speckled Wood.
R McB
RJDMcBeath

Postby IAC » Sun 22 May 2011 21:32

Hi all,
I have not seen a Speckled Wood for a while now Ron...although I see Nick Morgan found a few in East Lothian...so perhaps their are still some somewhere. Over the past few days it has been grim...very grim. If it had not been for seeing the odd Wall Brown in new locations..it would be even grimmer. I have found myself going out later in the evening when the wind has died down a bit....and still not much to write about. A few Small Copper roosting, the odd Orange Tip Caterpillar, a web of Small Tortoiseshell munching on nettles.
Today I was about as depressed as one can get this far from Winter. I was though inspired by the exploits of Nick Morgan and his excellent discoveries and dogged determination. I decided to make a suicide mission to Gordon Moss. All the way to Gordon it rained...heavy rain and high winds. Coat, hat and waterproof trousers required, leaning into the gusts I trudged into the Birch and Willow jungle. Finding Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary so early in the season was a high enough bar to set...but together with the conditions...well... A few Green Veined White were the first sightings..then a few Small Copper darting about...and even a few Small Heath...I say even because traditionally they detest the wind as much as I do. The sun broke out...amazing...the sky cleared...and after an hour or so...I managed to find a Small Pearl cowering at the foot of a grassy tussock...joy oh joy.!! Where their is one..I said...and well...their was 3 in total...I had to scour mightily to find them...but find them I did. In all today 18 Green Veined White, 14 Small Copper, 3 Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, 2 Small Heath, 1 Orange Tip, 1 Mother Shipton...and a dozen Common Carpet.

Iain.
Attachments
spbf2.jpg
Small Pearl praying for sunnyshine
spbf1.jpg
Small Pearl in cover today at Gordon
mother shipton.jpg
Mother Shipton..a little worn
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 22 May 2011 21:40

Hi,
Here is a videolink for this female Small Pearl today at Gordon... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVffA36X ... tube_gdata

Iain.
IAC

Postby RJDMcBeath » Mon 23 May 2011 17:27

Hello Folks,

Great to see this live action by Ian, well done. Looking forward to reading what you did today !

R McB
RJDMcBeath

Postby NickMorgan » Mon 23 May 2011 18:51

Great video Iain. That wouldn't be an easy butterfly to take a photo of. I hope if I find one up here it stays still a little longer for me!!
NickMorgan

Postby IAC » Wed 25 May 2011 18:54

Hi all,
I set off in hope more than anything else for Foulden Burn on Tuesday under a dark and foreboding sky with temperature at 11oC. On the roadside inbetween showers I managed a Small White...that Small White was met with the resounding yell of delight and punch of the air usually reserved for more elusive species. With a what seemed like a mini tornado and driving rain I arrived at Foulden Burn fully resigned to seeing nothing. A long wait ensued...waiting for the clouds to release the sun..and finally it did. It took a while for life to emerge but emerge it did. A few Green Veined White, a Red Admiral and a stunningly beautiful Banded Demoiselle. The Banded Demoiselle males are quite a fantastic site indeed, shimmering cobalt and emerald, in flight the clouded wings creating a magical effect, and as it had just rained the wings sparkled in the sun with the wet droplets...amazing. After that I made my way to Hutton Bridge seeing a few Orange Tip males. On from Hutton to Newton Braes...again a few Green Veined and a few Small Copper and Wall Brown skating about the eroded banks. Up from Newton Braes and towards Lambsmill and Edrington another shower...and then some more sun. This time the idea was to scramble down through the steep Hawthorn strewn banks towards the Lambsmill burn and on the way down spot a few Speckled Wood. About 20 yards in I found 2 Speckled Wood defending some sunlit ferns, about 2 yards to the right of them a Red Admiral...so lots of entertainment as they constantly clashed in ariel battles. I tried in vain to get a photo but every time I got near I seemed to kick out a few Silver Ground Carpet moths which the Speckled Wood took great delight in seeing off. I left them to it, and on the way down to the burn in all counted 4 Speckled Wood...quite worn but still alive and kicking. According to last years sightings...I am sure a new generation of these butterflies wont be that far off...2nd week June perhaps.
Totals for Tuesday were Small White 1, Green Veined White 7, Small Copper 4, Wall Brown 2, Speckled Wood 4, Large White 1, Orange Tip 3, Red Admiral 7.

Iain.
Attachments
Snapshot 1 (25-05-2011 18-15)_1.jpg
Speckled Wood at Lambsmill
Banded Dem male 24th May Foulden Burn.jpg
A Banded Demoiselle male at Foulden Burn
Cloudy skies at Foulden_1.jpg
A dark and sinister sky at Foulden Burn
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 27 May 2011 17:20

Hi all,
At Causewaybank Quarry today very little flying till mid afternoon. Managed to find though a sparkling new Common Blue female just out of the packet...but arguably better than that was a Large Skipper male buzzing about by a woodland edge nectaring on Red Campion. A few Green Veined...some looking in good shape...I am sure it is too early for next gen GVW...maybe they had just looked after themselves well. A few Orange Tip males, a few Small Copper very worn, apart from this one in photo....again looked very fresh. A Peacock, a Red Admiral and.....thats all... I did see on the same woodland edge as the Large Skip, a Large Dragonfly...not one I am used to seeing. Wingspan was about Common Hawker....but the body was short and stumpy...I am guessing this was a Chaser of some type....Something else to hunt down in the future.

Iain.
Attachments
cb_1.jpg
Common Blue female at the Quarry today
front_1.jpg
Large Skipper male taking time out
scopp.jpg
Quite a fresh Small Cop at the Quarry today
IAC

Postby IAC » Sun 29 May 2011 11:42

Hi all,
At Gordon Moss and surrounds yesterday. Another blustery day with heavy showers and good spells of sun. Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary confined to shelter...so most of the fields were no fly zones...a pity. In all I managed 11 Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, 27 Green Veined White, 13 Orange Tip, 11 Small Copper and 3 Small Heath. Very little else managing to fly in the conditions. I hear that the weather may greatly improve from Thursday....we will wait and see.

Iain.
Attachments
034_1.jpg
Small Pearl can be found low down in the vegetation.
023_1.jpg
Small Pearl in shelter
IAC

Postby IAC » Mon 30 May 2011 20:14

Hi all,
I was at Foulden Burn, Hutton Bridge and Newton Braes again today. I do seem to have visited here a lot this year. It is always worthwhile whatever the weather. Today was no exception, quite calm but very heavy showers in the afternoon with hail and a very ominous funnel cloud...quite scary. A long sunny spell at Newton Braes revealed plenty of life including 2 Large Skipper, 2 Small Copper, 2 Peacock, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 3 Orange Tip, 6 Green Veined White and 1 Small White...and a Red Admiral that had been badly beaten up. Tons of Silver Ground Carpet and Common Carpet throughout. Best find was a Red Necked Footman...I have never seen one till today.... :D

Iain.
Attachments
054.jpg
Large Skipper after the shower
072.jpg
Large Skipper before the shower at Newton Braes
095.jpg
Red Necked Footman at Fouden Burn
IAC

PreviousNext

Return to Butterfly News