Berwickshire Sightings June 2011

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Re: Berwickshire Sightings June 2011

Postby RJDMcBeath » Mon 27 Jun 2011 21:27

Hi folks,
After what seems a very long time without a butterfly in the garden, the hot weather today brought out two bright fresh ones, 1 Red Admiral and 1 Small Tortoiseshell, maybe this is the start of a rush. There has not even been a white one here for some time. Moths are much better - 3 Drinker and a Poplar Hawk Moth amongst 250 in the trap on Sunday night.
Ron McBeath
RJDMcBeath

Postby IAC » Tue 28 Jun 2011 18:56

Hi all,
A very decent day today with plenty of sunshine. I had a few options today and decided to make a dash down the Whiteadder banks to Chirnside from Edrington. The going was very difficult with wet grass underfoot, and the vegetation seems to have doubled in size over the past few weeks. A very good haul of butterflies over all. Small Tortoiseshell 5, Large Skipper 29, Small Skipper 5, Speckled Wood 4, Large White 1, Green Veined White 2, Small White 2, Painted Lady 2 , Northern Brown Argus 1, Common Blue 27, Meadow Brown 16, Ringlet 86, Peacock 2.

My brother was visiting Duns Castle Woods today. North West of the woods at Plendernethy Burn he counted a conservative 15 Dark Green Fritillary..he did a little filming while up their and it looked to be quite spectacular with many Common Blue, Small Heath and Ringlet. He did add that Meadow Brown were a little scarce yet..I think by next weekend their will be plenty.

Iain.
Attachments
028_1.jpg
Meadow Brown at Edrington
036_1.jpg
Male Small Skipper at Edrington
050_1.jpg
A ragged Speckled Wood at Newton Braes
IAC

Postby RJDMcBeath » Tue 28 Jun 2011 21:20

Hi Folks,
Nice, calm, warm and sunny today at Lamberton. Lots or fresh Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell where yesterday there was only one of each. A few whites and a Humming-bird Hawk-moth all day, dashing around the flowers.
Ron McBeath
RJDMcBeath

Previous

Return to Butterfly News