Berwickshire Sightings June 2011

Create a new topic with news of your recent butterfly sightings and first for year dates

Berwickshire Sightings June 2011

Postby IAC » Sat 04 Jun 2011 13:06

Hi all,
Thursday and Friday saw incredible temperatures for a change. So it was a very busy couple of days chasing butterflies and moths. On Thursday I visited Lightfield and Hareford near Gordon and also Gordon Moss in the morning and in the afternoon Greenlaw Dean. At Gordon their was plenty too see including Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary...30 counted...estimated about 50 on the wing over the whole area....very spectacular. Small Copper and Green Veined White in large numbers along with a few Small Heath and Orange Tip, Peacock and Red Admiral. As far as moths are concerned Thursday morning was the best Moth day I have seen this year so far the species identified were, Common Carpet, Beautiful Carpet, Silver Ground Carpet, Common Heath, Latticed Heath, Dark Barred Twin Spot Carpet, Mother Shipton, Silver Y, Clouded Border, Green Carpet and a few Waves...probably Common White Wave....unsure.

At Greenlaw Dean in the afternoon it was a very different story. Very quiet for both Moths and Butterflies. I was on the lookout for Northern Brown Argus...and yes I spotted 1...just 1..GRRRRRRR!!! Anyway...nice to see. Also at Greenlaw Dean, Small Copper, Small Heath, Orange Tip, Green Veined White, Red Admiral and Peacock. On returning to Greenlaw a Large Skipper was seen by 3 of us buzzing by...we were unsure..but all our instincts pointed to it being a Large Skipper...so that was a great spot.

Yesterday I returned to my fave spot in 2011 at Foulden Burn. I had caught the sun quite badly on Thursday..so the idea was to have a more relaxing day where the Butterflies come to you instead of the other way around. And it worked a treat. At Foulden Burn, Large Skipper, Wall Brown, Small Copper and Common Blue as well as a single Speckled Wood flying quickly in the shade of the wood upstream Foulden Burn from Hutton Bridge. It looked to be very fresh...could it be a new brood butterfly?

Further down river at Newton Braes thier were more Large Skipper, Small Copper, Peacock, Common Blue, Red Admiral, Green Veined White, and Orange Tip.
In all I counted 16 Large Skipper from Fouden Burn too Newton Braes...distance of about three quarters of a mile. Not bad at all.

Damselflies were very numerous yesterday with Banded Demoiselle in high numbers, Large Red, Azure, Common Blue and Blue Tailed all present around Hutton Bridge. The Banded Demoiselle is very much a 10 out of 10 insect and I recomend anyone who has not seen this insect before and lives locally to get down to Hutton Bridge and take a look along the rivers edge...they are quite spectacular indeed.

Back to cold and grey again today...nevermind.

Iain.
Attachments
061_1.jpg
Northern Brown Argus at Greenlaw Dean
064_1.jpg
Common Blue at Newton Braes
029_1.jpg
Banded Demoiselle at Hutton Bridge
IAC

Re: Berwickshire Sightings June 2011

Postby admin » Sat 04 Jun 2011 14:00

Hi Iain, I was out looking for Mother Shipton and Red Twin-spot Carpet in West Lothian yesterday, but not luck. Dark-barred TS Carpet is mostly a Western species in Scotland so worth checking whether it is RTSC? Do you have a photo? Mark
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat 04 Jun 2011 18:53

Hi again

Thanks for the photo (sent offline). Couldn't be a better example. First for over 20 years in VC81, I believe. Barry will be pleased.

Well done.

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Postby IAC » Sun 05 Jun 2011 10:12

HI Mark,
Thanks very much for that id. I had presumed this was an every day moth that was perfectly common. The fact that it was the first time I had seen ever seen one did not phase me, as almost all the moths I see are new to me. Barry says that it had been recorded last at Gordon Moss in 1988...which is pretty much where I saw it on Thursday...and Cranshaws in 1975.

Iain.
IAC

Postby IAC » Mon 06 Jun 2011 22:12

Hi all,
The poor weather continues. Very poor day yesterday. Having to make do with Orange Tip caterpillars for entertainment...fairly dull. I did note that they were all at very different stages...some fully grown Cats right down too unhatched eggs. The adults themselves are still flying...at least one to be found today at Pipers Knowe Quarry Causewaybank. A bright start gave way to the inevitable cloud cover and nothing could be found of worth for a good few hours. The sun did make an appearance at about 3.30 in the afternoon...and finally some butterflies. 4 Large Skipper,1 Small White, 4 Common Blue,1 Green Veined White and a single Orange Tip male. Not a lot to write home about their...though you cant beat those Large Skippers for a bit of entertainment....no matter how long the sun shines. Red Campion seems to be the favoured nectar at this site. The other day at Foulden Burn and Newton Braes it was some early Thistle heads that they were concentrating on.
Moths of note today...Yellow Shell, Latticed Heath, Silver Y and Bordered White. I also found an empty Burnet cocoon....bit of a mystery their, as I never saw any Burnets...at the quarry site both Narrow Bordered Five and Six Spot are present. I was wondering if the Burnet Cats are parasitised at all...as the exit hole on the cocoon was pretty small. ???

Iain.
Attachments
080_1.jpg
A male sitting tight waiting for the sun.
021_1.jpg
Female Large Skipper at Causewaybank today.
013_1.jpg
Orange Tip Cat, just about fully grown.
IAC

Postby IAC » Tue 07 Jun 2011 20:44

Hi all,
Another showery day. Chirnside missed most of them...so....I scuttled off at about mid day for the Whiteadder at Ninewells Mains. The sun was very hot indeed in the shelter of the woods. Green Veined White, Small White and Orange Tip in small numbers...dotted around I would say. 1 male Wall Brown on a dyke. A few Red Admiral, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell in very good condition. By a field edge of rough grass and wildflowers I scanned around for a Large Skipper...and after 10 minutes of false alarms... I found one buzzing past at high speed. This is the first Large Skipper I have seen down here....It gets me thinking that the Large Skipper must be very widespread just now...keep an eye out for these guys. Rough grassy borders...sheltered by a wood or hedgerow...must have quite a bit of nectar possibilities. In flight can be mistaken for a bee when at top speed. When nectaring they have a hovering, fluttering flight....looking a little like a Hummingbird Hawkmoth...as they seek out the best flowerheads.

Iain.
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 10 Jun 2011 19:08

Hi all,
On the 8th June at Bluestone Ford on the Whiteadder and upstream too just short of Allanton. 3 Large Skipper, 1 Red Admiral, 3 Small Copper, 1 Common Blue, 2 Green Veined White.

Today from Blue Stone Ford too Hutton Bridge a much more like it kind of day. 28 Large Skipper, 14 Common Blue, 1 Small White, 2 Speckled Wood, 1 Small Copper, 1 Small Heath, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Red Admiral. Speckled Wood both at Hutton Bridge nr the burn. The find of the day...2 Northern Brown Argus among copious amounts of the thought to be mythical Whiteadder Rockrose. I spent a long while last year and this trying to unearth the possibility...quite unbelievable!!! If I had just found Rockrose I would have been chuffed...but NBA as well....gobsmacked!!!!!

The downside today was that I forgot to put my battery in my camera this morning...so...I had to make do with my video camera...its just not the same. Anyway...the butterflies were very active in the sunny spells and I probably would have failed to get anything of worth anyway...at least that is what I try to convince myself with....the irony of ironies is that when I got home I realised that I had a spare battery with me all the time.... :shock:

Also today..Osprey at Hutton Mill, a pair of Peregrine, and hundreds of Banded Demoiselle...and maybe thousands of Chimney Sweeper moths. Oh...and a Kingfisher at Edington..... Does it get any better... :D

Iain.
IAC

Postby IAC » Fri 10 Jun 2011 21:47

Hi all,
A video of some of todays butterflies from Hutton Mill and Hutton Bridge and the Whiteadder Braes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4wSei419b0
Iain.
IAC

Postby RJDMcBeath » Fri 10 Jun 2011 22:10

Hello Folks,
Nice calm, sunny morning at Lamberton. At 9.00 2 Wall Brown cavorting in the garden. A vew Green-veined White but no Small Tortoiseshell or Red Admiral or other butterflies all day in the garden.
R McB
RJDMcBeath

Postby IAC » Sun 12 Jun 2011 16:44

Hi all,
From Chirnside on the old railwayline too Reston and back. Very soggy underfoot after yesterdays rain. No Butterflies at all from one end too the other...how boring!!! On the way back a blink of sunshine revealed 1 Red Admiral, 2 Small Copper, 2 Green Veined White...very much on the last legs, 2 Small White, 1 Small Heath...and best of a bad day, 1 Meadow Brown. Can only hope for better in the coming days.

Iain.
Attachments
034_1.jpg
My first Meadow Brown of 2011.
IAC

Next

Return to Butterfly News